Under the supervision of the Crew Supervisor Locksmith, troubleshoots lock problems and repairs, alters and installs various types of locking devices and keys to ensure security of all university facilities buildings.
• Inspects, maintains, rebuilds, repairs locks, locksets, cylinders and combinations in all university facilities. Troubleshoots electronic lock problems. Including basic troubleshooting electromechanical locks, paddles, or opener to identify if issue is with the locking device. Reports issues beyond this scope to OIT or access control unit. • Responds to emergency lock outs as needed within 15 minutes of call.
• Performs routine preventive maintenance on exterior door locking mechanisms and key cutting equipment.
• Performs lock repairs. Disassembles locks and replaces worn tumblers, springs and other parts as needed. Pick locks as necessary. Replaces batteries or failed parts in electromechanical locks.
• Cuts keys, including those by code and impression, as approved, within 2 days of request and tracks key requests and files. May code electronic swipe cards and downloads information into electronic locking devices (Koba).
• Reads pinning charts and pins keys as per University masterkey system to cut submaster and change keys.
• Is familiar with the use and nomenclature of various types keying systems, charts and equipment.
• Cooperates, communicates and collaborates with other units of University Facilities, University Police and Residence Life to meet the needs of the campus.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principle functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
• Two (2) years of experience in work involving the installation, inspection, repair, servicing and maintenance of various types of locking systems and locks including electromechanical units.
• A valid NJ Driver’s License
• Must be able to respond to after hour lock out emergencies 24/7
PREFERRED: • Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications • Working knowledge of electronic locking systems • A high school diploma or GED
*This position is designated as essential. The designation of essential requires employees at these 24/7 facilities to be present due to inclement weather situations.
Additional Salary Information: C16: $42,112.27 – $59,245.48 *NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission’s formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to step four $47,823.34.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
With a proud history and a vibrant future, Montclair State University is one of New Jersey’s most diverse and dynamic institutions of higher education. One of four public research institutions in the state, Montclair State is a designated R2 Research Doctoral University by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.
Located 12 miles west of New York City on a 252-acre suburban campus which boasts modern, state-of-the-art facilities complemented by green spaces, public plazas and striking Spanish Mission architecture, the University offers a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum with a global focus; a broad variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level; and a highly productive, dedicated and diverse faculty and student body.
The University’s 11 colleges and schools offer more than 300 undergraduate and graduate majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs, and with more than 120 student organizations and 18 NCAA Division III athletic teams for men and women, Montclair State offers its students a comprehensive college experience.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affi...rmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the website at www.montclair.edu/human-resources/about-us/eo-aa-and-diversity/