Job Category: Fulltime Temporary
This temporary full-time position will report to the Maintenance Manager and is responsible for providing day-to-day maintenance services to the Institute housing, including but not limited to apartments, student houses, condominiums and single family homes.
Provides assistance with various projects and events, and ensuring a safe, clean and well-maintained living environment for over 1500 Caltech housing units supporting students, faculty and visitors.
Must be able to provide professional customer service to internal and external customers. Resolves routine problems in a thorough and time manner either with a team of maintenance works or unsupervised. This temporary position offers excellent benefits. To learn more about our benefits click on the following link: http://benefits. caltech.edu
- Provide maintenance services in conjunction with rehabilitation, renovation, preventative maintenance, and respond to service/repair calls.
- Respond immediately to emergency maintenance requests in building or other areas as requested.
- Perform interior and exterior painting of residences and common areas, including prepping, patching and drywall.
- Plumbing perform various plumbing repairs, rebuilds and installations, including faucets, toilets, drain work, garbage disposal, water and gas pipes.
- Carpentry Perform minor carpentry including rebuilding walls, cabinet installation, metal studs, base boards, trim, door installations, deck repair, wood laminates.
- Assembling, repairing or replacing wooden desks, chairs, doors, door frames, windows, window frames and bookshelves. Repair or replacement of window blinds or curtains.
- Telecommunications troubleshoot Ethernet lines, communication lines for card access system, category 5 wiring, cable modems, satellite TV equipment, phone line wiring from box to room.
- Electrical running wiring, Install circuits circuit breakers, calling fans, lights;
troubleshoot, find and repair shorts and wiring problems, repair alarm systems.
- Locksmith install, repair, inset locks, some re-keying.
- Heating/Air Conditioning -troubleshoot problems and call contractors.
- Masonry- repair decks, concrete ramps, driveways and brick walls.
- Demolition remove walls, cabinets, doors as needed.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of various units and properties and their characteristics.
- Conducts periodic inspections of all Housing properties.
- Move furniture, tables and chairs. Pickup and delivery of boxes, parts or supplies.
- Assists in administering the Emergency Action Plan as it pertains to Housing Department (Organizational Critical Status).
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must have basic computer skills and be able to perform basic tasks on iOS devices.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a busy, fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Must be highly organized, detail oriented and proactive.
- Requires good problem solving skills.
- Must have patience and be able to deal with people under stressful circumstances.
- Strong customer service skills and an effective communicator with those of diverse backgrounds. Awareness and sensitivity to special interest groups, parents, students, faculty, and staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be a team player and willing to work after hours and weekends as needed.
- Must comprehend simple instructions and ask questions to clarify when needed.
- Must understand basic math and measurements.
- Resolves routine problems in a thorough and timely manner either with maintenance workers or unsupervised.
- Must have skills in handiwork and be comfortable using power tools.
- Must have a valid drivers license and be able to maintain it throughout course of employment.
- Must be able to use ladders, stand, walk, kneel and crouch for extend periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up to 80 pounds of tools, equipment, furniture and appliances.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: jobs.caltech.edu
- 12 months experience in a similar field.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Solder, sweat pipe and welding experience is a plus.
- HVAC and/or Plumbing Certifications is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency