| GENERAL DUTIESLocksmiths do work relating to the installation, maintenance, and repair of locks and locking devices. Specifically, they install, repair, and open locks, make keys, and change locks and safe combinations. They may supervise and be responsible for the work of assigned personnel.Key Cutting and Duplication|
* Selects the correct blank for making a duplicate or original key and cut key.
* Makes keys by code.
* Adjusts key machines to make accurate depths and spacing of keys.
* Generates keys by impression.
* Creates original keys by hand, using file.
* Repins cylinders.Repair & Maintenance of Existing Locks & Related Hardware
* Identifies problems with locks, including electronic locking mechanisms.
* Repairs damaged lock hardware.
* Lubricates cylinders and locks, as needed.
* Replaces missing or damaged lock hardware, creating a part, if necessary.
* Changes safe combinations by hand or by key change.
* Adjusts hardware, so the doors close and lock properly.Lock Installations
* Installs locks and related hardware of all types.
* Installs locks and related hardware on doors, making the necessary cutouts to accommodate all types of locking mechanisms.
* Installs locks and related hardware of all types from manufacturers instructions and templates.
* Selects locks and related hardware based upon the type of usage, location, and codes/regulations.Access Control
* Uses temporary cylinders to provide access to restricted areas to contractors or to others who needed temporary, limited access to facilities.
* Provides access to officials, such as management, fire, and police, in emergency situations.
* Uses picking tools to open doors, file cabinets, and desk drawers.
* Opens safes without combination by manipulation or by drilling.
* Distributes keys and access cards to appropriate personnel.
* Bypasses malfunctioning locks to provide access.Record Keeping & Ordering
* Maintains log of keys/access cards distributed to designated personnel; keeps records of persons who had been given keys/access cards.
* Maintains data records that detailed which keys corresponded to each lock under your control.
* Tracks Locksmith Shop supplies and ordered, as needed.
* Keeps records of which cylinders were installed on each door.
* Orders hardware based upon organizational need.Master Key System Management
* Re-keys rooms and areas within existing master key systems.
* Creates master key systems manually by using progression charts.
* Creates master key systems using computer software.
* Utilizes and expands an existing key system according to manufacturers specifications.Job CharacteristicRequired KnowledgeIncumbents must possess:
* Mechanical knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
* Technological knowledge of the practical application of technology, including computer knowledge. Applying technological principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to building security.Required SkillsIncumbents must be skilled in:
* Installing equipment, machines, or programs to meet specifications.
* Repairing devices or systems using the needed tools.
* Determining the kind of tools and equipment needed to do a job.
* Determining causes of operating errors and deciding upon the correct solution.Required AbilitiesIncumbents require the ability to:
* Keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
* Quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
* Make precisely coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble very small objects.
* Make fast, simple, repeated movements of the fingers, hands, and wrists.
* Utilize all tools of the trade in a safe manner.Other Work Requirements
* Work must often be performed in crowded public areas.
* A significant amount of time is spent standing in this job.
* Locksmiths spend time using their hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools, or controls.
* Work is performed mostly indoors but occasional work in the outdoors is required.
* Locksmiths must be exact or accurate in the performance of their work tasks.
* Incumbents' hands often are soiled in the process of performing assigned tasks.
* Locksmith shops are frequently housed in the basement of campus buildings, where there is minimal natural light and it is often cold and damp.CONTRACT TITLELocksmithFLSANon-exemptMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS1. Five years of full-time satisfactory experience as a Locksmith acquired within the last ten years; OR2. Three years of full-time satisfactory experience as described above plus either two years of sufficient related, approved educational training or two years full-time satisfactory related experience as a Locksmith Apprentice or Locksmith Trainee, to make a total of five years experience.3. Before the close of a Civil Service examination filing period, all candidates MUST possess a valid New York City Locksmith License. This license must be maintained as a requirement of continued employment.COMPENSATION$58,861BENEFITSCUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.HOW TO APPLYTo apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.CLOSING DATE3/25/17JOB SEARCH CATEGORYCUNY Job Posting: Support StaffEQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITYCUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.*Location:
* Lehman College*Job Title:
* Locksmith (Provisional)*Job ID:
* 16409*Full/Part Time: